Through a cooperative effort with Compassion International, Zion's Church sponsors a church, Church of the Nazarene Lagarera, in Peru and its student center, Jesus El Maestro Child Development Center. Students of this school receive Bible teaching, counseling, medical checkups, nutritious food, hygiene education, special celebrations, field trips, sports, tutoring, handicraft workshops and vocational training. The center staff will also provide schooling and evangelism for the parents.
Student Center: Jesus El Maestro Child Development Center
Church: Church of the Nazarene Lagarera
Number of Registered Children: 161
Location: Lagartera, 152km. (94,24 miles) east of Morrope, Peru
- This costal community is home to approxiamtely 4000 residents.
- Typical houses are constructed of dirt floors, adobe walls, and corrugated iron roofs.
- The primary ethic group is Mestizo, and the most commonly spoken language is Spanish.
- The regional diet consists of chicken, fish, and rice.
- Common health problems in thsi area include malnutrition, parasites, diarrhea, and respiratory infections.
- Most adults in Lagartera work on plantations and earn the equivalent of $56 per month